A Medal For Dedication05.04.2018
Margaret Holiday is the latest, worthy recipient of a Royal Agricultural Society medal, awarded to her as part of official ceremonies at the recent Malvern A & P show.
The medal was given in recognition of her dedication and commitment to the Malvern A & P Show, over many years both exhibiting and as a convenor.
The News spoke to a modest Margaret about receiving the medal and she said, “I was completely taken by surprise, though it was a lovely surprise.”
Margaret had no idea that she was going to be receiving the medal, although she said with a laugh, “I did wonder why there seemed to be quite a few more of my family members at the Show this year than usual”.
Show announcer and recipient of a medal himself in 2012, Stuart Baxter announced the award to showgoers and a rather taken-aback Margaret. He spoke to the News after the event saying.
“Margaret was a person who never wanted a leadership role or to take the limelight. She was always in the background and always available if needed. Stuart commented that Margaret (then Margaret Adams) began as an exhibitor at the Show in 1933/34 before joining the A & P Association with her late husband Joe Holiday in the early 1960’s. “Throughout the years Margaret has been an exhibitor, convenor, helper extraordinaire and is always there and always able to be relied upon,” Stuart commented. “Margaret’s area of expertise has been the indoor produce arena,” he said.
Margaret’s son Ray Holiday said they were thrilled their mother had been recognised in such a way. He added that they as a family felt that not only did it honour Margaret, but that it acknowledged all those in the community who pitch-in to bring event’s such as the Malvern A & P Show to fruition.
Margaret, who is in her 86th year still assisted her daughter Pam in the Indoor produce arena at this year’s Show, while her son Ray was taking care of the stock judging classes – truly a family affair.
The Malvern A & P Show Association applies for Excellence medals if there is a person who has given a lot to the A & P movement and deserves to be recognised with such an award.
Over the years there have been many recipients from the Malvern A & P Show family. While we cannot one hundred percent vouch for the accuracy of this list the following recipients (since 2010) have been honoured:
- 2017 – Joe Prouting for sixty years showing sheep at Malvern A & P Show
- 2016 – Judith Earl-Williams for sixty plus years showing in the Home Produce section at Malvern Show
- 2015 – Nancy Dimmock for dedication and commitment to the Home Produce section at Malvern A & P Show
- 2014 – Wright Family for over one hundred years commitment from same family to the Malvern A&P Show. Presented the year Paul Wright was President
- 2014 – Malcolm Paterson was presented with an RAS Excellence medal
- 2012 – Stuart Baxter for 40+ years announcing at the Malvern A & P Show
- 2010 – Elly May for 25 years as Horse Convenor for the Malvern A & P Show.