Locals In Jumping Squad21.02.2019
Following a mid-season review the Equestrian Sports New Zealand (ESNZ) have announced their Jumping Squads to run through until the end of the 2018-19 season. Two deserving local riders have been named on these squads, Sophie Townsend and Tegan Fitzsimon.
Sophie has been named on the Youth Rider Squad having constantly proven her skills and dedication to the sport. Sophie had to fill a number of requirements to be considered for the squad; be committed to attending training and meet the criteria set by ESNZ. Selected riders gain much from the opportunities that they are given. Criteria to be met for selection:
- Consistently winning/proven performance in Junior Rider Classes
- Pony Grand Prix at Premiere Shows
- Winning FEI Competitions
- 18 years and under
- Attendance at training camps
- Access to advice from Jumping Performance Coach on future planning
- Commitment to flat and jumping training.
Tegan and her horse Windermere Cappuccino were selected for the High Performance (HP) Futures Squad. Just like Sophie, Tegan had to fill certain requirements, plus show exceptional skill and dedication to show jumping. Tegan had to meet the following criteria to be considered for selection for this squad:
- Athlete Agreement with ESNZ
- Horse capable of meeting the performance criteria from a horse health perspective
- Riders who demonstrate specified personal and team qualities, physical and mental attributes
- Consistently winning Grand Prix and FEI classes or in the top five of the Grand Prix series
- Capable of being competitive at international Grand Prix and FEI classes
- Tracking towards performing competitively in future Nations Cups, Olympics and WEG
- Recognition/promotion of riders/owners through HP Media
- Opportunities for international experience via Performance Leader
- Mentoring in competition scheduling and IPPs
- Horse health programme
- Support from ESNZ HP and ESNZ Jumping around international competition and logistics
- Connection with other NZ HP Jumping Riders schedules/ planning via Performance Leader
- Team NZ Jumping clothing when representing New Zealand.
These two local show jumping riders have not only done extremely well to be selected but will also be names to watch out for in the future. Both riders have had excellent results recently and are doing particularly well.
To see the full list of riders in the each squad see: Equestrian Sports New Zealand