Selwyn Swimming Success05.02.2020
The Swimming Canterbury West Coast Championships and Para Swimming Canterbury Championships were held at Moana Pool in Dunedin from January 23rd – 26th. Selwyn Swim Club swimmers competed extremely well coming away with thirty medals, along with many personal bests.
Chloe Newbigging aged fifteen from Darfield, swam for the Selwyn Swim Club in the fifteen to sixteen year old girls’ category.
Before this competition Chloe and her teammates completed two weeks of intensive swim training to get them ready for the event, following the Christmas break.
They attended a week’s training camp in Timaru where they swam twice a day, ran and also fitted in different exercise activities daily.
“I enjoyed camp and the team building we did, even though we were pushed to our limits sometimes, but I feel that I am already starting to see the results,” Chloe said enthusiastically.
Training continues throughout the year with eight early morning or evening training sessions a week. Chloe’s next target is the National Age Group Champs in Wellington during April.
Medal winners from Selwyn Swim Club:
Celyn Edwards (Para Swimmer)
- Gold: 100m breaststroke, backstroke, freestyle, butterfly & 200m Individual Medley (IM)
- Also named top Para Swimmer of the meet.
Ella Benn (Para Swimmer)
- Gold: 100m freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, 200m & 400m freestyle
- Silver: 100m butterfly.
Leuan Edwards (Para Swimmer)
- Gold: 50m, 200m, 400m freestyle & 50m backstroke
- Silver: 100m freestyle & butterfly.
- Gold: 1500m & 200m freestyle
- Silver: 400m & 800m freestyle.
- Gold: 100m backstroke
- Silver: 200m backstroke
- Bronze: 400m IM.
- Silver: 800m freestyle
- Bronze: 200m breaststroke.
- Silver: 800m freestyle.
- Bronze: 200m backstroke.
Lilli Cheeseman, Sonya Benison & Holly Smith.
- Bronze: 13-14 girls 4x100m freestyle relay team.
Selwyn Swim Club
- 6th: Hollander Cup(15x50m).